January 11, 2012

Individual Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Pies

I know! It's amazing right? I'm actually posting a recipe for something savoury. It might surprise you to find out that I actually do cook most of the evening meals for my family, it's just that most of them don't seem postable - whether it's because the photos would come out too ugly or because I just think they're too boring. Every now and then, though, I like to try a new recipe that I'm proud to share with you lovely readers. And this recipe, that I found on Jane Kennedy's app 'OMG I can eat that?', is one of those. It is a low carb version of the chicken, leek and mushroom pie, which I know is never the same as a good old fashioned pie with flaky pastry, but it still turned out to be a delicious meal.
You see, readers, I'm actually trying to 'be good' at the moment. I've put on a lot of weight over the last year and it's really time that I did something about it. Not because I want to be a stick thin model or anything, but I just feel like I have to do this for me. I will still be posting lots of sweet treats in the future (they might just be for other people - not me), but they might be mixed in with more healthy meals, like this, as well.

To make the crust:
1 small zucchini, peeled and grated
1 egg, beaten
50g light mozzarella cheese, grated
50g parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with paper. Trace circles onto the baking paper using a ramekin - trace a circle for each ramekin. In a bowl combine the zucchini, egg and mozzarella cheese. Spread this mixture onto the baking paper, using your traced circles as a guideline for the correct size and shape.
Bake the zucchini lids in your oven for about 20 minutes, or until they start to change colour. Once you remove them from the oven allow to cool on the baking tray.
Leave your oven at 180C so you can cook the pies later on.
To make the pie filling:
1tbsp olive oil
2 small skinless chicken fillets, cut into cubes
2 cloves garlic
2 leeks, finely sliced
12 mushrooms, sliced
1 sprig thyme, finely chopped
1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp greek yoghurt
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken pieces for about 5-6 minutes. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the frying pan with a slotted spoon, leaving the juices in the pan, and set aside
Add the garlic and leeks to the pan, and cook for about 5 minutes. Make sure the leeks and garlic don't brown too much.
Add the mushroom slices, thyme (I only had dried thyme, not fresh, but I found this was fine to use), rosemary, sea salt and pepper and cook for another 6-8 minutes. Then stir in the yoghurt.
Divide the mixture between your ramekins - I was only serving three people so I squished my mixture in a little bit so it would fit into my three ramekins - and top each pie with a zucchini lid. Sprinkle the lid with parmesan cheese and bake for about 10-12 minutes - or until brown and bubbling (hmmm!!)
Warning - your house will be left with the most delicious smell. You'll want more pie even after you're finished - or maybe it's just because I'm greedy ;)

Recipe Source:
Jane Kennedy's app: OMG I can eat that?
recipe for Chicken, Leek and Mushroom piemakins

Individual Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Pies


Zucchini crust:

1 small zucchini, peeled and grated
1 egg, beaten
50g light mozzarella cheese, grated
50g parmesan cheese, grated


1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper
3. To make the zucchini crust, combine the zucchini, egg and mozzarella cheese in a bowl
4. Spread this mixture onto the baking paper, making circles in the shape of a pie lid - to do this I traced around my ramekins to get the correct shape and size.

5. Bake for about 20 minutes, or just until the zucchini crust starts to change colour
6. Remove from the oven and leave on the baking paper to cool.



Pie Filling:

2 small skinless chicken fillets, cut into cubes
2 cloves garlic
2 leeks, finely sliced
12 mushrooms, sliced
1 sprig thyme, finely chopped
1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp greek yoghurt

1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the chicken pieces for about 5-6 minutes
3. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, leaving the juices in the pan, and set aside.
4. Add the garlic and leeks to the pan. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly and making sure leeks and garlic don't brown too much.
5. Add the mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, sea salt and pepper and cook for another 6-8 minutes.
6. Stir in the yoghurt
7. Divide the mixture between your ramekins and top each one with a zucchini lid. Sprinkle the lid with parmesan cheese and bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until brown and blubbling
8. Serve immediately.




6 comments:

  1. These look delish Claire! I love a similar chicken and leek pie so I'm sure I'd love these! Also did you change your 'about you'? It reads really well, love the change!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were :) You should give them a go! Do you mean the bit on the side 'a little about me...'? Coz that's new. But I also changed the 'about me' part too - but not recently :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these pies look and sound delish. Im definately going to use your recipe to make them once we settle back in after holidays. Im thinking of doing an online 10wk challenge starting at the end of the month. Ive heard a few people talk about it. You could join me, bit of fun. Im sure these pies would be a good meal during the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the 10 week challenge? You'll have to tell me about it :) If healthy eating is part of it, I should show you this app. There's a few other nice looking recipes on there too. The idea is to have tasty meals without the boombah (as the creator calls it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing n reading this has got my faith n love back for simple yet yummy cooking .
    Trish.

    soulonicefire@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Sometimes there's nothing better than a simple but warming home cooked meal.

      Delete

share post

Facebook