August 20, 2012

Lemon Cream Bars

So the countdown is on! It's now less than 3 weeks until I fly off to New York with my friend Steph, and then I'll be flying on to London on my own! I keep alternating between moments of absolute excitement and then nerves as I think of the things I still have to do! I'm slowly ticking things off my to do list though, and we've been making heaps of plans that I'll hopefully be able to share with you all, including a day trip to Washington. I'm hoping to have some great food related experiences that I'll share with you, although I was crushed to find out recently I won't be able to go to The Fat Duck, as I'll be on my own. But watch out for lots of photos!
But now onto these amazingly delicious but simple lemon bars! I found this recipe on a blog called Pip and Ebby and kept meaning to make it but didn't have the chance for a while. And then once I did, I ended up making it three times in the one week! The filling is so rich but you can't stop at one, it's just so addictive. 
Lemon Cream Bars
1 1/3 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon
Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the plain flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside. 
3. In a larger bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until incorporated. 
4. Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of your prepared dish. Add the rolled oats to the remainder of the crumb mixture in the bowl. Mix together and set aside. 
5. In a medium bowl, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, and the lemon juice and zest until creamy. Spread over the top of the pressed crumb mixture in the baking dish. Top with the other half of the crumb mixture.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and store in the refrigerator. 

Recipe source:
Pip and Ebby's recipe for
Lemon Cream Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment

share post

Facebook